14 Mar Newsletter No. 3
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Another year has flown by and we have all experienced times of joy and of sorrow. CMNW has continued to organise meetings in the area, and we thank you for your continued support. In contemplating the subject “Creation or Evolution: Fact or Fable?” My thoughts turned to Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7: 13&14) where He speaks of the narrow and wide gates; one leading to life and the other to destruction. He tells us that the wide gate leads to a broad way that is taken by many people to their ultimate ruin. By contrast, the narrow gate and harder path is much less popular, but is much more rewarding.
Firstly, three important facts:
1. It is impossible to prove what happened in the beginning. We can only model based on what we see.
2. The laws of science are based on very short time based observations. Are the laws of science subject to God? Can He choose when and how they operate? Does man have any right to challenge these?
3. The only possible eye-witness account of the beginning is what God has revealed.
Secondly, three common assumptions (but are they true?):
1. Many unbelievers will say: ‘All branches of science agree with one another regarding the prerequisites for a big bang followed by evolution’.
2. Some scientists say: ‘There is a limit or edge to space that relates to the start of time’.
3. Evolutionists say: ‘The beginning was a long time ago and that chance events to led to all the different life-forms on the earth’.
Thirdly, two blatant errors proposed by unbelieving evolutionists:
1. ‘Science has proved that the creation account is wrong’. Actually science in general refuses to look at this in case creation is proved to be right.
2. ‘The big bang and evolution have been proved beyond reasonable doubt’. The truth is that they are both models that keep changing when new evidence conflicts with their theoretical predictions.
What do we believe – the popular hype or the truth of God? Man cannot prove a beginning without God, but still desires to do so. Remember what God says in Proverbs 16:25; “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.”
Our planned meetings for the coming year are:
Friday 4th March 2016 at Plumbland Evangelical Church (7.30 pm) and
Friday 11th March 2016 at Grace Evangelical Church, Carlisle (7.30 pm)
DVD: “Living Waters, Intelligent Design in the oceans of the earth”
Saturday 25th June 2016 at Carlisle – venue to be confirmed (7.30 pm)
Rod Walsh – talk and models relating to Noah’s ark.
Friday 14th or 21st October 2016 at Emanuel Church, Workington (7.30 pm)
Saturday 15th or 22nd October 2016 at Grace Evangelical Church, Carlisle (7.00 pm)
Dates, speaker, subjects & venues to be confirmed.